Monday, January 25, 2016

Week 23 - Lots of investigators & Purple Corn Drinks

January 18th, 2016

This week has been absolutely crazy!!! I could sleep all day today and still probably be tired...but its the best tired ever! The reason we are so tired is because we have been working with and finding so many people ready and prepared to hear the gospel. And not just to hear, but also to act on what they are hearing. We had 15 investigators in church today (that includes 4 kids...but they are learning so much too!) And really I think God helped me stay calm and work with everyone in an orderly manner because usually I'm a frantic case in situations like that!

This is me with my pensionistas family! They are like my family here!  Her name is Hermana Berita and I absolutely love her! She cooks literally every meal for us, which we eat at her house, and does all our laundry. She is absolutely amazing! I love them so much!
One family, R* and M*, we found this week when all our appointments fell through and we were walking a little discouraged and knocked on a door. R* let us in and told us her husband really didn't want to come, but we stayed until he came out. They listened and accepted a return appointment. We went back and they had read what we had given them and had prayed! Then at the end of the week they committed to come to church; and they came! M*'s heart was so hard at the beginning, but there has been such a change. It's incredible! He prayed for the 1st time in his life with us and it was so simple, but so beautiful because it was from his heart. 

Last night we were hurrying to another appointment and my companion and I felt the prompting to turn around and go back to a menos activo (less active) family. So we did, and they weren't home, so we went to another family near by and they were busy. Finally, we went to a part active family's home that we had already passed a couple of times, because we knew there was a reason we came back. We had a lesson with a less active 18 year old and his active mom and started the lesson talking about how we need to obey the commandments, and ended with committing him to pray about serving a mission! I don't know how it all happened but there was a change in him as we taught and I know we went there for a reason - so he could save himself and be an instrument in the hands of the Lord.

I could go on all day, but the last funny story is that we were given fermented Chicha Morada ( a drink made with purple corn). It smelled awful but I started to drink it anyway until my companion started coughing and kindly told the hermana that we couldn't drink fermented drinks cause they are alcoholic :) I just had to laugh as I realized whatIi had just drank :) Todo nos pasa en la misiĆ³n! (That's how it goes in the mission)

Me and Hermana Mucha enjoying the fruits of Peru!

The scripture I want to share is in Mosiah 18:8-10. We are here on earth to bear one another's burdens, that we may be strengthened and that they will too. We promised that when we were baptized. My invitation is to try to find a way to lighten someone else this week and I promise you will be strengthened too!

Mom thanks for always being willing to take them to the temple even when you had just come home. I know it would have been easy to say another day...but you didn't :) Please continue doing it because I can't tell you what some people would give to have the opportunity to go whenever they wanted!

Thank you for all your prayers and support! I can feel them so strong! 
I love you all so so so much! I think about you daily :) 

Love,
Hermana Briggs

Answer to the questions: "What do you do on your p-day?" (preparation day?)
Well, today for pday we are playing with water balloons, justamente (on the day it is cloudy :) last week we played basketball and ultimate frisbee with a ball because we didn't have a frisbee.
Really, I could just sleep and be happy :) We shop for all the little things we need for our apartment or personal items and fill up our water jug and by the time we do all that and eat dinner, its time to work at 6 pm. We still visit people on pday after 6 :)
The missionaries in this mission all have "penionistas."  This is someone who cooks for them and does their laundry for a fee.  She cooks the food at her house, and the missionaries go there to eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment