Monday, October 3, 2016

Week 60 - Conference!! & How to Find Joy!

October 3, 2016

Bonita familia!

So I think the highlight of most people's week was General Conference, and there's a good reason why! Our zone leaders were really nice to us gringos and set up a room to watch it in English. I had told myself I was going to watch it in Spanish, but it's just not the same when it's not coming from their mouths. If it was given originally in Spanish, by golly I would watch it in Spanish. But, I think my favorite talk was also by Elder Nattress...and I'm not even a mom yet. But, it made me think a lot about my family and also our investigators and members in our ward. I loved that he talked about "The ONE". That is the motto BYUI has as well, and it is what our Savior focused on. The one person who needs to be loved. Also, I loved the focus on the plan of salvation! The plan that our Father has to be like Him and return to Him! It is the one theme that when we talk about with people, they seem to take the most interest in...I believe because it is truth and so it's familiar. 

I remember this week my companion and I were doing divisions because we hadn't had a lot of time to work in our area for different reasons, and that night I was just not feeling up to it. I was tired, a little emotional, and just felt weak spiritually. My first thought was, "Hermana Briggs, you should say a prayer." So I did. I prayed fervently,

because I didn't really know where else to turn. That night we didn't find very many of the people we had planned to teach, but I felt SO happy! I wanted to share this message that brings me so much happiness with everyone! As we learn of the doctrine of Jesus Christ we become happier, because we start to understand our part in the plan and HOW we can be happier. 
I have also seen the power of members in our lessons this week. We had our Young Women's President and Young Men's President share their testimonies with our 2 strong youth that are going to be baptized. The members really are the missionaries, we are just the support team. I have felt so uplifted this week and felt the power also of Family History. If you want to find JOY in your life, I promise you if you do family history, it is inevitable, you will find JOY. 

I am learning to find joy in the little moments through Paneton, seeing an investigators face change as we teach them of their purpose, or a member to take us home when all the lights go out in Iquitos :) 

I love this work and know that it is true through and through. I know my Savior is our Redeemer. Pray to him. Plead with him. 

I'm starting to sound like I'm giving talks every time I write :) Sorry...it just feels more natural. Love you all to the moon and back! Keep smiling brightly!

Con amor,
Hermana Briggs

Also my sd card is weird so I don't know when I'll send pics.  There are viruses on all the computers.  It says it wants to fix it ...I'm SO sorry I'm just scared of losing them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment