Monday, June 20, 2016

Week 45 - Family History, God knows us, and Chickens

June 20, 2016

Also, this is me trying to take a selfie with all of
these cute kids and an hermana who goes to
 do visits with us almost every night!

Familia!!!!!
So glad to hear your life has been so great! I'm sure its full of the ups and downs, but the downs seem to fade away as you look back :)

I had to share a story about last week that I forgot to send. We are the sisters who are in charge of family history in our stake - which is the coolest thing ever! We have only had 2 lessons with people so far, but we had one last week with an investigator from another ward who is going to get baptized next month. It was so cool as we explained about the plan of salvation, the plan God has for us to live with him again and to see her eyes change as she realized she could see her family members again. At the end she looked at me and said "I had never looked at life with so much value, but to see my family here has changed that." It is so incredible to see how excited people get about family history. We really are all just one big family and that is what part of our role is to do...to help our family from the past, here and throughout eternity!

Funny moment this week... I think I've mentioned a little about the old family in our ward that we did service for a few weeks ago to sweep and mop their super dirty floor...well we passed by the other day to see how they were doing and to make sure they were eating, and there were chicks and chickens in their house. The abnormal thing was not that they were in their house...that's normal here. The weird thing was that she was taking care of a sick chick, but it looked dead. We nudged it and yup it was dead. Then the problem came trying to tell the hermana that her chicken was dead because she can't hear very well. So my companion shouted "SU POLLO ESTA MUERTO!" or "YOUR CHICKEN IS DEAD!" just about as loud as she could! She then told us she would just throw it in the garbage, but we didn't feel that was a super great idea so we had a funeral for it in their backyard :)

The best sign I've seen in the mission! People actually know what they're selling!
We had another really cool experience this week...actually, I think I could say that every day, but I'm limited on time so you only get a few of them :)  My companion and I went into a lesson to visit a member, not knowing what to teach her. So, we decided to say a prayer and after we got done I felt super strong that we needed to ask her if she was reading the Book of Mormon. Literally 2 seconds later my companion said exactly the same words I was going to say. I know this work is inspired of God. Yesterday we went back and she still wasn't reading, but her whole family was there, including her husband, who isn't a member. He ususally doesn't want anything to do with us but he joined us in the lesson and by the end we had given him a Book of Mormon and he committed to read it! God knows us! He knows all his children and exactly what they need. 2 Nephi 2:24

I also had a work visit with my sister leader this week, who continued to teach me about following the spirit. I've committed to start turning off my brain and start opening my mouth. Sometimes we doubt things, especially the promptings of the spirit to talk to people, but we just have to think...what's the worst thing that could happen? And usually it's not that bad so we continue opening our mouths! 

Love you all and keep smiling and trusting in the Lord. He will never lead you astray!

Loving Iquitos more every day!

Love,
Hermana Briggs

No comments:

Post a Comment