Monday, September 12, 2016

Week 57 - Tormentura! and the Spirit is the teacher!

September 12, 2016

Familia!!! 
Us near the Amazon River.
This week has been absolutely crazy! I love crazy weeks!

On Monday we tried to go fishing at the Amazon River…well it had just rained and the Banks of the river turned into a big sink hole, so as you tried to walk to the bank, you sank to you knees at least in mud! But we had so much fun and the adventure of it all was probably what I loved most. I'm always down for adventures. We saw suri for the first time too which we are not allowed to eat…so grateful for that rule.

We have 2 new fechas (appointments) this week! They are a son and daughter of a member! They are the cutest kids ever! We have to teach them in the church because their mom doesn't want anything to do with the church. They ask the sweetest questions…A. asked us “Does God really hear me when i pray? And Ay. asked “Can I really recieve my own testimony of the Book of Mormon?” They are so sincere and already want to share the góspel with their friends. The way we found out they wanted to be baptized was funny because Ay. told us in Young Womens when we were talking to them in church that she was going to be baptized the 17 of September! We smiled and told her we would talk to her after about how she could do that…she sadly has to wait till October 9th!:)

Our investigator underneath the broken roof!
There was a super crazy jungle storm on Friday night that took the roofs off of quite a few peoples houses in our ward…one of which had the entire roof taken off! That is where one of our investigators is living with Hna Corina and we went to help them wash clothes that were dirtied in the rain. The people are so amazing here! No one complained about what had happened, they just gave thanks that that was all that happened. They really help me be more grateful for all the little things I have in my life.

Little spiritual experience this week! My companion and I put goals together to follow the spirit always! And this Sunday as a misión we concentrated on following the spirit and realizing what things distract us from the spirit. I had a thought as we passed by a woman to contact her…thought no, but then remembered our commitment to follow the spirit. We went back and she let us in! She has so so many questions and is searching for the truth. I still don't speak Spanish perfect and my thoughts get all mixed up sometimes, (like in english…that hasnt changed) but she told me “You may not speak perfect, but the look in your eyes says you know it's true.” I am so grateful for the spirit! The spirit should be the teacher, not us.

Suri is the name for a large grub that is roasted and eaten,
but often eaten raw by natives!
http://www.peruthisweek.com/blogs-strange-food-with-chef-palmiro-ocampo-suri-107907
I love this work with all my heart! I wish I could sit and tell you all the amazing things that have happened this week, but that will have to do for today. 

Washing clothes dirtied in the rain.
Thank you for all your prayers and love! I can feel them every day!
Keep smiling brightly!

Con amor,
Hermana Briggs



No comments:

Post a Comment